Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Awesome Best

William Lamson's work hit me like a jackknife into a swimming pool. It is so good. I had previously seen a few examples of his images from Me In America but I had never seen any of his video work. I happened upon his website and there is so much great work. I can't link directly to any of my favorite pieces, cause his website is flash, but they include Me In America, Vital Capacity and William Tell (in New Work), and Animal (in Video Animation). Check out those pieces and explore everything else on his site.

San Clemente, California, from Me In America

I often get bored by video work, or maybe I just haven't been exposed to enough, but Lamson's work is really enjoyable. The only other video work I have liked this much is William Wegmen's early work. You can check out an earlier posting on that, here. What I like about the two is that they create fairly short pieces that keep you engaged in the work and they often incorporate humor. I think of humor as sort of an easter egg in art, it can be a nice little bonus to the viewing experience.

Video still from Vital Capacity